ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
19487448

I have a question regarding a situation that I am in at my

Customer Question

I have a question regarding a situation that I am in at my job and I would like to get some advice. I have a coworker who was hired 4 months back as a software engineer consultant. She claims to have about 15 plus years of job experience in IT. But just by working with her I feel that she does not have any basic understanding of software development concepts. also most of the time at work she frequently watch youtube, facebook , browsing shopping websites. and yet I see her producing a very advanced level code. I know that because I have been a software engineer for over 15 years. I highly suspect that she is outsourcing her work to others and my concern is the security of company data and other information. I would like to get some advice to find out there is a way to check her employment and experience and how do I report it to my company.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  ScottyMacEsq replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. There's not any "database" that you can check that would verify education and employment. If you had a resume, you could contact former employers to verify employment. Most of the time educational institutions would require a signed release to release a transcript. Now private detectives often use other methods (such as tracing residence, etc...) that would be consistent with employment at a certain employer or education at a certain place. I'll assume that you don't want to pay for a private detective to investigate this matter though. And in that regards, ***** ***** resume or application that indicates her education / employment record, there wouldn't be any way for you to verify this. It frankly would be up to the employer, who would have the discretion whether or not to investigate per the at will doctrine.

At-will employment means that without a contract, you have no contractual or other right to employment with the company. The company is entitled to fire you for any reason: a good reason, a poor reason, or no reason at all--as long as the company does not fire you for an illegal reason (race, gender, age, religion, etc...). But it extends beyond firing, to hiring, promotions, demotions, wage cuts and raises, disciplinary actions, and even scheduling. Unless you can show that this was done in violation of a contract, union agreement, or a clear violation of an unambiguous and binding clause against the employer, or that it was done because of some minority status (age, race, gender, religion, disability) that you have, then they do have this discretion. And they have the discretion whether or not to investigate, and even if it's true that she has no training, that she's outsourcing, etc... that is still up to the employer whether or not they're okay with it.

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?

I see that you have not responded in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know.If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** good luck to you!