Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years practicing attorney
19958803

I worked privite company that was bought out buy a larger

Customer Question

I worked for a privite company that was bought out buy a larger public company. The last employer did not give use any vacation until it was erned, we did not get any until we had worked there 1 year. now the new company that is taking over is telling use they don't have to pay out accrued vacation from this year or the time that they wont let use take from last year do to production issues. is this legal?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

.

What I am going to tell you stinks, but it is the law.. And that is that there is no MN state or federal law that requires an employer to pay for accrued vacation time unless they have a specific policy that states that they agree to do so. So this is entirely up to the employer as to whether they pay out anything accrued from the previous employer and apparently they aren't going to do so.

.

It isn't fair, but legally the employer sets their own policies with regard to vacation time and payouts.

.

I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy...

.

.

thanks