Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

I was terminated by am employer a week after I turned 40

Customer Question

I was terminated by am employer a week after I turned 40 because of sales performance with no waning or indication I need to improve
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.
Hello
This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard
I am sorry to hear of this situation for you
Of course, all employees are "at will" employees unless they are under contract. And as At Will employees they may be terminated at any time - unless the reason is based on discrimination such as age (over 40)
If you feel that you have been discriminated against, you could be eligible to file and EEOC complaint. You can file is your employer has more than 20 employees. If that is the case and if you feel that there is discrimination, you should consider filing the www.eeoc.gov complaint and allow them to investigate
If they find discrimination, then you will be issued a Notice to Sue which will make it easier to find a local attorney to represent you.