Infolawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping employers and employees.
11313492

I added my work cell phone to my family plan, can the

Customer Question

I added my work cell phone to my family plan, can the company monitor the information on my wife and my personal cellphone?
My boss has recently been referring to discussions between my wife and I that has only been in text messages and it is just creepy.
1) is it legally possible?
2) I work at a financial investment firm and know they have hired Compliance IT consultants who present compliance review courses. So if they somehow have policies. What are my options to create a private cell phone environment for my personal life. Get new phone number at a new phone carrier?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.
Hello, it is illegal to monitor without advance disclosure and consent.
You may choose to practically not have private account linked to work at all.
Employer should cease such invasion of privacy.
You have a few options. Let me outline them. You can pursue a complaint in civil court. You may sue for losses suffered plus costs and interest and an injunction . You can also file a complaint with the attorney general office. You can threaten these options before pursuing and use for leverage. local counsel can also get involved! A letter or call often suffices.
martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options. Good luck. Kindly rate the answer OK or higher.
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.

awaiting your rating/reply. thanks.