Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
60109343

If I called my employee a dumb on an email can they do

Customer Question

If I called my employee a dumb ass on an email can they do anything legally about it?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.
The law does not make it illegal to be rude and there is nothing legally actionable about calling an employee a "dumbass." Insults will only become actionable if they relate to legally protected traits, such as race or religion, in which case a claim for "hostile work environment" under our civil rights laws may arise.
So, for example, it would be legally actionable to yell racial slurs at an employee because race is a legally protected trait. However, insulting someone's intelligence does not relate to a legally protected trait, and while it may not be the most professional way of dealing with a situation it absolutely does not violate any law.
I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.
If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.