Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Former judicial law clerk, lawyer
26798026

My manger told me my last day was on the 21st and that i

Customer Question

My manger told me my last day was on the 21st and that i would not be able to come on full time because he hired 2 new employees and he was now over staff. After me showing intrest and speaking to him about the job. So, basiclly terminating not knowing i wasn not an intern i was a permanent empolyee just in the accounting internship roll. Soon , as that was stated i went out and started my job seach. After finding out my employee status , he came back a week later said i didn't know you was a permanment empolyee , i would like to offer you the job now.
Is there anything wrong with this ? Besides the unethical part?
Category: Employment Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i started the Accounting Internship in May with the intent to come on full upon gradution. Expressing the intrest to my manger he told me he would see. Mid june 3 employees and quit. i thinking to myself okay now that they are gone i could become full time in august ... I ask the manger a few times he said he dont know he just hired 2 more people. Then call me to his office and said i am going to hire full time and your last day is on the 21st of August. After, that i went to HR and spoke to them about what was going on they told me the manger could telling my last day was on the 21st for 2 reasons i wasnt a temporary employee and that he didnt tell them about it. After finding out my employee status , he came back a week later said i didn't know you was a permanment empolyee , i would like to offer you the job now.So, basiclly he terminating me not knowing i was not i wasnt an intern i was a permanent empolyee just in the accounting internship roll. And to cover that up he wanted to offer me a job.
Is there anything wrong with this ? Besides the unethical part
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i started the Accounting Internship in May with the intent to come on full upon gradution. Expressing the intrest to my manger he told me he would see. Mid june 3 employees had quit. SO , i was thinking to myself okay now that they are gone i could become full time in august ... I ask the manger a few times he said he dont know he just hired 2 more people. Then call me to his office and said i am not going to hire full time and your last day is on the 21st of August. After, that i went to HR and spoke to them about what was going on they told me that the manger could not tell my last day was on the 21st for 2 reasons i wasnt a temporary employee and that he didnt tell them about it. After finding out my employee status , he came back a week later said i didn't know you was a permanment empolyee , i would like to offer you the job now.So, basiclly he was terminating me for an unjustifiably reason. Making fo seaching for a job.
Also, not knowing i was not i wasnt an intern i was a permanent empolyee just in the accounting internship roll. To top it of and to cover that up he wanted to offer me a job.
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.
There unfortunately isn't anything legally wrong with what the manager did. He's not required to hire interns as full time employees, and he's allowed to decline to hire someone if he thinks the company can't afford to pay them.
Also, in the law, when things go wrong, there are two parts to a lawsuit: liability and damages. Because you were offered the job you wanted, you're not legally damaged. And that means there's no cause of action here.
If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.