Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Employment/Labor Law Litigation
20011183

I have worked catholic church as organist and director of

Customer Question

I have worked for the catholic church as organist and director of music for 25+ years; they just got a new pastor/priest, and they are going to fire me. there is no reason for this. I have had 3 pastors and no problems, the congregation loves me! I taught music in the Catholic school for 4 years. This is in NYS. I have a lto of history of discrimination that I can point to. I told the priest I would resign but on reflection I will let them fire me, and sue them for all the loss of pay and inequalities.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 1 year ago.

If you do not have a contract of employment specifically stating that you can only be terminated for cause, you legally can be terminated without cause in your state and almost every other state in the country. This is called "at will" employment.

Now, you allude to discrimination, but you didn't really indicate what you mean by that. You'd have to be able to allege that the only basis for your termination is your race, gender, age, disability or recent FMLA use. You can't just sue for loss of pay without the termination itself being a violation of contract or violation of specific discrimination laws.