Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Employment/Labor Law Litigation
20011183

Dear Ask A Lawyer: I am a registered LLC in the State of

Customer Question

Dear Ask A Lawyer:
I am a registered LLC in the State of Nebraska and now need to hire my first employees. Please tell me how to be compliant and hire my first employee(s). All I have to do is have new employees fill out a W-4 and I-9? That's it? Or what should I do? Is there online filing for this? Please direct me to how I should fill out a contract. Also, my employees will be online tutors. Can I hire online tutors outside of my State? If so, what legal requirements are there for that?
Thanks,
Lillian
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 1 year ago.

You have done what is necessary, from the stand point of local hiring. You've covered the tax aspect and the proper reporting for purposes of immigration laws.

For any sort of out of state employees though, the issue is more complex. You have to actually look to each state involved to determine that state's rules about reciprocal income tax agreements, and whether or not that state has one with your state. If it does not, you then have to file for a tax ID number in the state where they are located so that you can pay their taxes into that state's accounts.

Also, if you hire in different states, different rules apply concerning Worker's compensation. Some state require it only for a certain number of employees, while some require it if you hire anyone.