Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
10285032

My Father was given injections of Lovenox in a hospital,

Customer Question

My Father was given injections of Lovenox in a hospital , after we told two different nurses he was a bleeder and couldn't take any blood thinner. They ignored our requests and administered it anyway "because he was in bed". My father suffered massive hemorraging both internally and in his brain which ultimately resulted in his death.
We have obtained all records from the hospital and I need direction as to which way to go.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
The first thing you need to do is obtain a medical expert. The reason you need a medical expert is that you have to have a report from a medical expert attesting that the conduct of the treating hospital or doctor was below the reasonable standard of care before you can file a suit for malpractice.
Presuming you receive the medical expert opinion, the age of the patient is a factor in the size of the awards, because the expected life span of the victim is a consideration in determining loss of earnings and emotional affection from that person. If it is an older person who is no longer working, there is no loss of income and their lifespan at 80 is significantly less and that decreases the value of the claim.