Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  I provide employment and discrimination law advice in my own practice.
18572087

At the beginning of the year my 19 year old daughter went

Customer Question

At the beginning of the year my 19 year old daughter went through a very difficult time. She left an abusive relationship, was prescribed medications for anxiety and depression that she could not tolerate, totaled her car and got on OVI, and had to be pulled from the nursing program in which she was enrolled because her life had become such a mess. She was excelling in school and at the top of her class but chose to withdraw in good standing until she could get her life back together.
She found a job relatively quick but I believe the man that hired her (CEO and Publisher of a city paper) has been extremely inappropriate and has crossed many employer/employee boundaries. After he hired her, he offered her a vehicle, and then he moved her out into her own apartment. I just recently found out he was offering her prescription medications, put a GPS tracker on the vehicle, had a key to her apartment, suggested they smoke crack because he likes it, and had her convinced that she need to change doctors to one he saw because her doctors were not “good”, one of the doctors prescribed 8 times the original dose her doctor prescribed…. And the list goes on.
Thankfully she quit the job but only because she was beginning to feel imprisoned by his rules. I do not know what to do and am afraid this man will continue to prey on young vulnerable women. She cannot afford an attorney and I feel she would have a case against this monster. Is this worth pursuing and how can I find a pro-bono attorney?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

When did all this take place, how long ago? As far as filing suit, suing for what exactly? Please advise.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She quit her job last Monday 8/10/2015. She worked there since the beginning of February 2015. I need to know if we could sue him for crossing boundaries employers don't typically cross- offering prescription medications, getting her a car, moving her into an apartment, having her see other physicians who prescribed way too much medication, making unwanted sexual comments and advances, telling her to put on makeup before meetings or how to dress, and taking advantage of someone who was young, naïve, vulnerable, and not in the best mental shape when he hired her. He restricted who could be at the apartment and where she could drive. She finally quit her job because he was so controlling and she felt like a prisoner.

What you are describing appears to be a claim for potential 'hostile work environment' claims, and for sexual harassment as well as quid pro quo arguments. Now, getting her an apartment or a car is not really a violation. But pursuing unwanted sexual advances, offering drugs, or acting in that way is likely actionable. As far as makeup, that can go either way--an employer CAN control how employees dress and look if that look is required to be professional or as a means of branding for the company. I would suggest that she consider filing a grievance against him with the EEOC, or the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. If they agree that there is enough for a claim, they can issue her a 'right to sue' letter which she can then use to try to find and retain counsel. I cannot guarantee a pro-bono attorney, but she can browse the listings then at www.avvo.com and www.martindale.com. With this 'right to sue' letter it is much easier to find attorneys, and potentially those who would work on contingency.

Sincerely,

Dimitry, Esq.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much. This gives me a good place to start. I appreciate your time and expertise.

You are most welcome, and glad to help. Please let me know if I can ever assist you again. Otherwise please do not forget to positively rate so that I can obtain credit for my work. Thank you!

Sincerely,

Dimitry, Esq.