Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

Because I'm in the state of PA and penalties are severe,

Customer Question

Because I'm in the state of PA and penalties are severe, even though it is a small amount and I did not willingly do this more so ignorance, could I face maximum penalties or even jail time?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello: This is PhillipsEsq. I am a licensed Attorney and I will be assisting you today.
[bBecause I'm in the state of PA and penalties are severe, even though it is a small amount and I did not willingly do this more so ignorance, could I face maximum penalties or even jail time?
Response: No. That's why you may need to notify them now of the error.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I no longer work there but never called the unemployment office when I got hired, just never got the chance to get them on the phone. Now that I am no longer working there will that affect me negatively? I'm glad to know that I will not face ant serious penalties such as maximum fines or jail time. So am I just looking at paying it back?
I no longer work there but never called the unemployment office when I got hired, just never got the chance to get them on the phone. Now that I am no longer working there will that affect me negatively?
Response: I do not understand your question. Kindly clarify.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I no longer work there but never called the unemployment office when I got hired, just never got the chance to get them on the phone. Now that I am no longer working there will that affect me negatively with UC? I'm glad to know that I will not face any serious penalties such as maximum fines or jail time. So am I just looking at paying it back?
I am sorry, you just repeated your prior statement that I did not understand.
I still do not understand what you are referencing. You need to lay proper foundation for your questions.
Thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My apologies, I didn't call the unemployment office when I first got the job, I never was able to get them on the phone. I am happy to know I that won't receive any jail time or extreme penalties but will this negatively effect me with the agency or will I just have to pay back the overpayment?
Thank you for your cooperation:
Response: Based on the information that you have provided here, you would only be liable for overpayment plus any interest that the State would tack on the overpayment because your action was not fraudulent—was not intentional.
I have tried to link you to the PA Unemployment page dealing with overpayment and penalties, but the site is currently down.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** told me because it was a one time offense and not intentional not to worry and just be prepared to pay the overpayment if received, but I wanted professional assistance in the matter so thank you.
You are quite Welcome!
Have a wonderful day