Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  I provide employment and discrimination law advice in my own practice.
18572087

I recently walked off a job I had yrs. because my boss had

Customer Question

I recently walked off a job I had for 4 yrs. because my boss had told upper management I was upset about my review and that I was liable to go on the co. server & start deleting co. docs. The co General Counsel told me I was a problem for the company and could do a lot of damage. I'm a paralegal. I walked out right then because they're were going to fire me they were waiting for the phone call with the OK at that very moment. Now I can't find a new job because "I'm not eligible for rehire". I don't headhunters or potential employers this story no do I plan to. But I'm getting ready to loss my house and all that I've worked so hard for. What can I do????
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

I am genuinely sorry that you find yourself in this situation. But I am a bit unclear as to your question. What, ideally, do you wish to accomplish here? And please keep in mind, especially as a paralegal, there is not always a legal solution--based on your facts I am not yet seeing a legal cause of action against anyone. Please advise.

Sincerely,

Dimitry, Esq.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't find a job because when my reference is checked with my last employer they say that "I am not eligible for rehire". In TX that response does not help you get a job.....I need job!!. How do handle their response? I can't say to a potential employer or recruiter - when you call my last employer they will say I'm not eligible for rehire because I left before they fired because my supervisor was smearing with the General Counsel who said I was a problem and could do a lot of damage to the company. And that they'd already called HR and they were at that very moment waiting for the call back to fire me..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All I need to know is how do I prepare someone for the negative employment reference. I have deal with it on the front end. Once it's said in a ref. ck. I've lost the job
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
did you get my reply? just checking
I do apologize for the delay, I was offline and was not able to immediately respond.
There is no law that requires you to give your last employer as a reference. And if they do provide false information, you can threaten them with a potential claim for business defamation and tortious interference with a business interest. But legally, so long as they state the truth, they can do so, especially if you give them out as your reference. And if you walked off the job, regardless of your reason, they can absolutely inform whomever calls of that fact. Perhaps you may want to consider speaking with a local attorney over a 'hostile work environment' claim to see if you would qualify via the EEOC, although based on your facts I am not yet seeing grounds for it, but that is about the best option that you may have at this time.
Sincerely,
Dimitry, Esq.