Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Attorney with 29 yrs. exp in Employment Law
19127644

I was told that it would be suggested to the school board

Customer Question

I was told that it would be suggested to the school board that my contract would not be renewed and so I resigned my position at the end of the school year before the board meeting took place. I got my performance results a day or two after that and it was a few points short of being satisfactory (making it unsatisfactory overall and only proficient or satisfactory in some domains). It was understood by me that my resignation then made my nonrenewal moot as long as my resignation letter was turned in before the meeting which it was. This was mostly to save face with my family and for other personal reasons I had at the time. So, I now have a job opportunity that requires a security clearance check and asks the question--Have you ever had any of the following occur in the last seven years:
1.Fired from a job.
2.Quit a job after being told you'd be fired.
3.Left a job by mutual agreement following allegations of misconduct.
4.Left a job by mutual agreement following allegations of unsatisfactory performance.
5.Left a job for other reasons under unfavorable circumstances.
I am not trying to lie, but I'm not quite sure which one truly fits. Thus, my question is which one do I lawfully check off? I think I know the answer but want to make sure. Please help.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the information and your question. Having worked with security clearance issues before I can tell you that it is better to err on the side of caution and disclose rather than not to. In this case if you were told that you would not be renewed because of unsatisfactory performance and you then resigned, that would fall under number 4 on the list. That is not going to keep you from passing a security clearance check and, at most, you will just need to explain the circumstances of your resignation. If you do not disclose this, and they speak to your former employer about why you left, they may have more questions about why you didn't disclose the circumstances.

Please feel free to ask follow up questions if you have them.

Hello again,
I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 15th. For some unknown reason, the Experts are not always getting replies or ratings (in the pop up box for this question, which is how we get credit (paid) for our work) that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator.
In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue, if needed. You can bookmark my page at: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-marsha411jd/
Thank you.