Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
60109343

Type your question here...minimum position requirement are

Customer Question

Type your question here...minimum position requirement are posted ie. education, experience etc. and applicants are recruited by same,can the minimum requirements be altered to favor one candidate over another?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.
There is nothing unlawful about altering hiring requirements to favor an applicant. This is because, in general, the law imposes virtually no limitations on how an employer can choose applicants. Employers need not be fair, reasonable, or consistent in their hiring policies. The only thing that is against the law are hiring criteria that are designed to filter people on the basis of legally protected traits, such as race, religion or gender.
If you could prove that the hiring criteria were altered specifically to deny employment to someone on the basis of that person's race, that would be illegal. Here, though, it would be the MOTIVATION that makes the conduct unlawful, not the changing of hiring requirements itself.
I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.
If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.