Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Former judicial law clerk, lawyer
26798026

I have a non compete with my current employer and I would

Customer Question

I have a non compete with my current employer and I would like to change jobs. The new job is in the same field but a different district so there is not competition. The non-compete says that I can not work in the same state (which I think is too broad) do I need to tell the company I would like to join about the non-compete if I get offered the job?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I'd be happy to answer your questions today.
You are required to tell the new company, because they need to know if they could face a lawsuit by hiring you. Sometimes, a new employer will buy out a non-compete agreement, so that's another reason they need to know.
Whether a statewide restriction is too broad will depend on how far the new district is from your current office and whether the original company performs work throughout the state. What Fl. Stat., Section 542.335 says is that it may be a defense to a lawsuit if the company seeking to enforce a non-compete doesn't do business in the area where they're trying to stop you from working.
If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.