ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
19487448

I was singled out in a meeting,by a manager the manufacture

Customer Question

I was singled out in a meeting,by a manager for contacting the manufacture about service campaigns not being performed per instructions.I had almost everybody yelling at me in this meeting. I feel like I'm working in a hostile enveirment now.Do I have any protection. I am a union member,tried to file a grievance, for retaliation, They told me I need to tell them which particular page from the contract to file from. I'm not a lawyer, I can't interperate the contract. Do I have any kind of protection in this matter?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  ScottyMacEsq replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. First of all, you need to understand that Minnesota is an "at will" employment state. At-will employment means that without a contract, you have no contractual or other right to employment with the company. The company is entitled to fire you for any reason: a good reason, a poor reason, or no reason at all--as long as the company does not fire you for an illegal reason (race, gender, age, religion, etc...). But it extends beyond firing, to hiring, promotions, demotions, wage cuts and raises, disciplinary actions, and even scheduling. Unless you can show that this was done in violation of a contract, union agreement, or a clear violation of an unambiguous and binding clause against the employer, or that it was done because of some minority status (age, race, gender, religion, disability) that you have, then they do have this discretion.

Now a union collective bargaining agreement is a contract, but you have to show specifically how they violated the contract. Typically such a contract deals with specifics (days off, pay, benefits, etc...) rather than interpersonal issues, although it's possible that yours could still govern your situation. It's not likely, mind you, but it's possible. If the contract is silent as to the situation, "at will" employment would then control.

As for "hostile work environment", this does not qualify. That is actually a legal term of art that only applies in sexual and race harassment cases.That is, if a workplace was "highly sexualized" (porn on the computers, dirty jokes all the time, etc...) that could qualify as a "hostile work environment". But again, that's a legal term of art, and the ordinary definition of what would be "hostile" does not mean the same there.

I know this is probably not what you wanted to hear, but it is the law. I hope that clears things up anyway. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?

Are you there? Please note that I am still here, awaiting your response or rating... (please note that rating closes this question out, so if there's nothing else, please rate it so that I can assist other customers that are waiting for answers to their questions)

Should I continue to await your response, or may I assist the other customers that are waiting?

My apologies, but I must assist the other customers that are waiting. If there's nothing else, please rate this answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better) AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. If you feel that I have gone above and beyond in this answer (my average answer is about 10 minutes) bonuses are greatly appreciated. Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

I see that you have not responded in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know.If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** good luck to you!