Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Former judicial law clerk, lawyer
26798026

Ohio here.....six years ago I had unemployment over payment

Customer Question

ohio here.....six years ago I had unemployment over payment of almost 9000. I had to pay that back plus was given 98 penalty weeks. My questions is....I have not had to apply for unemployment since then. If I were to have to file for unemployment now do I have to still wait 98 weeks to receive any benefits? Or is there a law stating that those penalty weeks expire after a certain amount of time?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

The penalty weeks unfortunately do not expire. This isn't something like points a person's driver's license that go away, or a lawsuit where they only have a certain amount of time to file. The state has already determined that you received money you weren't supposed to get, and the penalty weeks are the punishment they've assessed. The fact that you haven't "served" the punishment yet because you didn't file for unemployment doesn't mean the punishment goes away. The only way to make that time go away is to apply for unemployment (when necessary) to penalty the waiting period.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.