Infolawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping employers and employees.
11313492

MY NAME IS xxxx xxxx AND CAREGIVER WIFE JO. MY WIFE IS A

Customer Question

MY NAME IS ***** ***** AND I AM A CAREGIVER FOR MY WIFE JO ***** *****. MY WIFE IS A FULL TIME EMPLOYEE OF BANK OF THE WEST IN THE CITY OF INDUSTRY, CALIF. MY WIFE IS CONFINED FOR THE PAST 4 YEARS TO A WHEELCHAIR WORKS ON THE SECOND FLOOR OF A BRAND NEW BUILDING. I WHEEL HER UP TO THE SECOND FLOOR WHERE SHE MUST SWIPE HER EMPLOYEE BADGE TO GAIN ACCESS TO HER WORK AREA. WHEN MY WIFE'S DEPT. FIRST MOVED TO THIS NEW BUILDING, IN LATE MAY OF 2015, I WAS ALLOWED TO WHEEL HER RIGHT TO HER DESK FOR THE FIRST 3 DAYS. THE FACILITIES MANAGER PUT A STOP TO ME DOING THIS AND IF MY WIFE WANTED ME TO DO THIS , SHE WOULD HAVE TO EMAIL A REQUEST TO HER. MY WIFE ASK PERMISSION OF THIS MANAGER THROUGH EMAIL AS INSTRUCTED, FOR ME TO BE ABLE TO CONTINUE DOING THIS, PUSHING HER TO HER DESK,AND HELPING HER SETTLE IN AT HER DESK. MY WIFE NEVER RECEIVED A RESPONSE TO HER REQUEST. SINCE THEN SHE HAS TO WHEEL HER SELF TO HER DESK. WHAT I HAVE BEEN DOING AFTER SHE SWIPES HER BADGE IS TO JUST STEP THROUGH THE DOOR AND PUSH HER TO MAKE IT A LITTLE EASIER FOR HER TO REACH HER DESK. MY WIFE HAS HURT HER ARM FROM HAVING TO WHEEL HERSELF TO HER DESK, EVEN WITH A PUSH FROM ME. AS OF YESTERDAY, MAY 12, I AM NO LONGER ABLE TO GO THROUGH THE DOOR TO GIVE HER A PUSH. THERE IS CARPET ON THE FLOOR WHICH MAKES IT MORE DIFFICULT FOR HER TO ***** HER DESK. ALSO THE DOORS THAT SHE GOES THROUGH AFTER SWIPING HER BADGE IS ALMOST IMPOSABLE FOR HER AND ME TO TRY AND HOLD OPEN AND FOR HER TO PASS THROUGH WITH HER WHEELCHAIR.
MY QUESTION IS SINCE I AM HER CAREGIVER, SHOULD I NOT BE ALLOWED TO WHEEL HER TO HER DESK IN THE MORNING , AND TAKE HER FROM HER DESK AFTER WORK. ALSO IS THERE ANYTHING THAT COULD BE DONE ABOUT THE DOORS TO MAKE IT EASIER TO PASS THROUGH SINCE IT IS NOT AUTOMATIC. AGAIN, THIS IS CAUSING HER TO PUT A HUGE STRAIN ON HER INJURED ARM THAT, IN ALL LIKELY HOOD WAS CAUSED BY HER HAVING TO WHEEL HERSELF TO HER DESK.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.

what outcome are you seeking at this point? accomodation at the building?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
to be able to wheel my wife to her desk in the morning and wheel her from her desk in the evening. also for some type of automatic door that would open and stay open, long enough for her to pass through once she swiped her badge.
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.

Typically this can be accomplished in a couple of ways. First having counsel reach out to negotiate a settlement for such accomodation under threat, implied or express, of a lawsuit. Secondly, by pursuing an action in state or federal court which may prompt such settlement. martindale.com and findlaw.com are good resources for that. Kindly let me know if that is clear and acceptable.