Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA, recognized by ABA for excellence.
4460311

There are well established issues with a coworker over the

Customer Question

There are well established issues with a coworker over the last 4 years with regards ***** ***** and behavior. Our supervisor finally left the company in 2012 after the company failed to correct the issues. Since then I have been placed in a position to supervise her work even though I am not her supervisor. My coworker has begun to make personal attacks towards me and has made my work environment extremely stressful and unhealthy for me and I feel unsafe in my work environment. I reported this to City management last week when all other efforts with my immediate supervisors were unsuccessful. I am unsure of what is going on as no one has communicated anything to me and this coworker is still in my environment. I have been told by my Director that City management is afraid that the coworker will "file a charge" and for this reason, she has not been reprimanded. Her previous reprimands from years prior have been rescinded when she filed a grievance. I have given my 2 week notice because I cannot continue to be put through the emotional distress this has caused on me for the last 4 years. They have asked me to reconsider my notice and has promised once again that they are "working n the situation." However, I do not believe them anymore. What should I do?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.
What types of things is this woman doing or saying?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She has purposely created massive errors in her work to burden me with an unnecessary workload for the last 4 years. She has so many errors that management has restricted her workload and placed it onto me. I have been assigned 484 projects since I began tracking this in January of 2014 and she has been assigned 6. I realize this is a behavioral issue and relates to performance, but last October I began to discover my files in disarray when I come into work, she requested my employee file after I received a raise, specifically the details of a reclassification I received that made us equals. My file is public information. I came to work one morning to find my pictures face down on my desk and an "X" placed in front of my chair. Additionally, this coworker rode by my house when I was on vacation 2 months ago. There are documented cases where she has sabotaged my work to make it appear as though I am incompetent and she tries very hard to provoke me into a conflict with her. She takes every opportunity to degrade me in front of my supervisors. She also made a report to my supervisors that I purposely tried to hit her car when I was returning to the employee parking lot as she was leaving. My supervisors are aware of her tactics and dismiss anything she accuses me of, but at the same time, they are doing nothing to stop her. I have stopped all contact with her and I refuse to supervise her work anymore. Since then, she has begun to act as though she has forgotten how to perform work related tasks, and therefore, cannot do them, pushing the workload back onto me. This week management instructed to my supervisor to ensure that this coworker and me are never alone together in the office, but that is all they have done. Some things I cannot prove that she did, however, she was the only person in the office after I left. I witnessed this same behavior towards our previous supervisor when this coworker retaliated in the same manner when they supervised her work. Our former supervisor left the company when she could no longer take the treatment from her and management would do nothing about it.
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I'm afraid I'm not available to answer questions this evening, so I'm going to open your question up to the other experts.
Please do not reply, as that can cause delays.
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your post. A different professional here, perhaps I am able to assist you this evening.
Good grief, this person sounds genuinely dangerous. Have you considered escalating this to a restraining order, or is there nothing that you can directly tie her to? I ask because that picture on your desk can definitely be considered a threat, just by itself. When did that take place?