Delta-Lawyer
Delta-Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  In-House Counsel & Litigator
12711280

I was given permission to work from home when I moved 112

Customer Question

I was given permission to work from home when I moved 112 miles away from the office, after one year I am being told that I either have to move back into the area the office is located or find another job. Because my boss is discontinuing the work from home program. Her boss just put out a notice that 1 of the initiatives for this year is flexable work schedules and work from home option. Do I have any recourse.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately, you do not have any recourse, UNLESS there are others that are allowed to work from home and which are similarly situated to you (i.e., they live far enough away that it would be impractical to require them to drive to work everyday). The only other option or defense you might have is if you have a contract with the employer and they specifically give you this right to work from home in the contract.

Those are unfortunately the only two options here which would allow you to take a legal stance against the demands of the employer. When you are employed at will, you have very few rights to defeat the demands of the employer. Your best bets are always breach of their own policy and allowing some to act one way and not others. If that is not present here, then you have virtually no rights relative to the situation.

I wish I had better news for you. Let me know if you have any other questions or comments. I want you to be as comfortable as possible as you move forward.

Please also rate my answer positively so that I can receive credit for my work.

Best wishes going forward!

Did you have any additional questions or comments? I want to make sure you are as comfortable as possible as you move forward. Thanks