Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA, recognized by ABA for excellence.
4460311

I have held my job 6 years. Just over a year ago, the

Customer Question

I have held my job for over 6 years. Just over a year ago, the business old and I am under a new employer. During this time, my hours have been repeated change without anyone bothering to ask me if I was okay with the new hours. As examples, I used to work the late shift, 1:30 PM until 9:00 PM. Now I work the late, but on week-ends I sometimes have to work the late and then the early shift, starting at 6 a.m.. Now, after working just two weekends a month for six years, I was told I have to start working three week-ends a month. I have no sick leave, no vacation days, and there are no posters and not safety training at my workplace. Do I have a right to refuse to work the third week-end. If fired, is it grounds for quitting. Would I have a legitimate claim for unemployment.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am Loren, a licensed attorney. I will do whatever I can to provide an honest and accurate answer to your question.
Before I answer a bit more detail would be helpful please.
Do you have a written employment contract specifying scheduling?
Do you have any reason to suspect that you are being treated differently due to race, religion, ethnicity, etc.?