wallstreetfighter
wallstreetfighter, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  14 years exp, General counsel for National Corp. firms, Hostos College instructor, Represented employees in discrimination lawsuits
16356563

I have a disability. I recently applied job and submitted my

Customer Question

I have a disability. I recently applied for a job and submitted my resume via email. I was initially told my stated desired salary (info was requested) was too high and that my resume would be put aside and considered in the future for other positions. I responded that the NTE salary they stated was within my range and to please continue to consider me for this position. I haven't heard back since. I then determined that the recruiter I was communicating with is friends with a person I used to work with that knows about my disability. I feel like the recruiter may have asked this person about me and found out about my disability. I meet and exceed the requirements in the job announcement. Do I have any sort of case if I am not contacted again by the recruiter? How would I determine if the recruiter has knowledge of my disability?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  wallstreetfighter replied 1 year ago.

This is an unfortunate situation, discrimination is a possibility, however providing proof or evidence will be difficult, if you are not hired,

and you feel your disability is the reason, you may want to send a letter to the employer or call the hr

and see why you were not hired, if you do not get a response, consider filing an EEOC complaint, and the

employer at that point, would have to give a specific non discriminatory reason, and sometimes they may offer you a job to avoid litigation.

Good luck, and if you have any further questions please do not hesitate to ask.

If satisfied with our service please provide us with positive feedback, thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can I file an EEOC even if I don't make it to the interview point? I'm just thinking the HR rep won't contact me at all (to set up an interview or otherwise) even though I'm more than qualified.

yes, you can if you feel you were not called back for an interview due to your disability, the problem you will have is the proof, if you can claim that they knew of your disability, an EEOC complaint would be possible.

You may want to call the HR soon, and see if they give you a response.