wallstreetfighter
wallstreetfighter, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  14 years exp, General counsel for National Corp. firms, Hostos College instructor, Represented employees in discrimination lawsuits
16356563

I worked company months with no reprimands or warnings. Then

Customer Question

I worked for a company for 6 months with no reprimands or warnings. Then I was given a 30 day probation contract with I signed & had notarized. In the 30 day probation contract, I had a place for comments. In that section I expressed my concerns for lack of human resource person in the company(handbook not signed by me, plot training, large turnover & I requested mediation which was offered in their handbook)Then 4 days later I was given a separation agreement to sign with only 2 weeks pay option. I countered with a request for 30 days pay per our previous probation contract otherwise it would seem they are in breach of contract with potential retaliation. They are still offering we only two weeks pay. Do I have a solid law supported issue? Thank you! Sharon in NC
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  wallstreetfighter replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome.
My name is***** am a Licensed practicing attorney and my goal is to provide you with excellent service today.
This is an unfortunate situation, it is clear the employer is retaliating against you, however in NC, the law does not protect employees, unless they have a contract, which states the employee can only be terminated for good cause. NC is an at will state, and the employer can terminate any employee for any reason. In terms of any separation agreement, if signing it will mean they will consider you having resigned or quit, you may want to reconsider, as you can be denied unemployment benefits, since a worker who resigns is not entitled to unemployment benefits.
If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to ask, if satisfied with our service please provide us with positive feedback, thank you.