wallstreetfighter
wallstreetfighter, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  14 years exp, General counsel for National Corp. firms, Hostos College instructor, Represented employees in discrimination lawsuits
16356563

I was wrongly accused of harassment.i have a girl driver Who

Customer Question

I was wrongly accused of sexual harassment.i have a girl driver Who was telling everyone in the store that she have to pick up her girlfriend so I said ur Girl friend and she said yes so I was and walk away a week later I was being suspended for sexual harassment. The area coach came and took the girl statement and not mine then he ask me did I ask her was she a lesbian I told him no I didn't ask her that I just repeated wat she said which was her girlfriend this happen Friday Monday I call to see wen I come back to work and the area coach said that they are not going to continue my employment and I ask him y he said it's against the law to ask anybody if they are a lesbian so I asked Him why I didn't have to write a statement he said I told him that i'd ask her was she a lesbian I told him no I didn't and he tryed to argue with me about I ask him Wat was his bosses number and he told me he don't care if I called Jesus then he terminated me
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  wallstreetfighter replied 1 year ago.

This is an unfortunate situation, your statements were not sexual harassment,

and you should not have been terminated for such comments,

That being said, unless you are a contract employee, or part of a Union, you would not be able to challenge the termination. If the employer tries to deny you unemployment benefits, you should fight any denial, and argue the statements you made were not sexual harassment.
Under the EEOC definition of sexual harassment :
the law doesn’t prohibit simple teasing, offhand comments, or isolated incidents that are not very serious, harassment is illegal when it is so frequent or severe that it creates a hostile or offensive work environment or when it results in an adverse employment decision (such as the victim being fired or demoted).
You can see the full definition at the EEOC website.