Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years practicing attorney
19958803

I signed a non compete and I believe an employment letter.

Customer Question

I signed a non compete and I believe an employment letter. However, I am not going to take the position and start my own business, which would violate this if valid. Would this be enforceable? I haven't started yet. I am in Ohio. They are a business that wants to start an IT firm, and I want to start my own instead of working there.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.
If you haven't actually begun your employment under any employment agreement, then you would never have become an employee and as such wouldn't be held liable under the non-compete agreement which would apply to current and former employees, not prospective ones.
.
So if you haven't actually started your employment, then you couldn't be bound under the non-compete agreement that was tied to your employment. Even if you have started for a brief period of a day or two, a court would be unlikely to enforce it because you wouldn't have had time to be exposed to confidential information or trade secrets so the non-compete would just be to stifle competition which is a violation of the free trade laws.
.
The employer has to have a legitimate business interest to protect, not just the goal of preventing competition.
.
.
thanks