Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
10285032

The longer a person is out of work, the greater the chance

Customer Question

The longer a person is out of work, the greater the chance they will NEVER return to work. According to Bureau of Labor statistics, if an employee is off work for an occupational illness for more than one year, there is only a 25% chance they will return to work. If they are off work for two years, there is almost no chance of a successful return to work. " I copy and pasted that from a legal advice website .. is this true and for what reason would a person not be able to return work ? ? ?
I was layed off in from my job in april and since I have been receiving unemployment benefits. I filed workmans comp on them because I tore my meniscus while in the commission of preforming that job and that case is still pending , In the past I have had no trouble what so ever finding employment and since I have been layed off from that job. Since the last time I was employed I had something expunged off my record from 1996 which I would think would help. And now It seems impossible to be able to find a job . I have applied for around 50 jobs that I believed that I would qualify for and would be a good fit for and I cannot even get an interview ... how can I find out what it is that is that is impeding my ability to obtain gainful employment.. thank you very much
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Attorney2020 replied 1 year ago.

Hello

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
where is my answer

You need to inquire to the company that you interviewed with, if any to determine why they did not select you for hire. Also, apply to employment agencies that will find a job on you behalf which will give you a higher probability of finding employment.

I hope that helped. Please ask any follow-up question. Please rate my answer so that I may be credited for my time. I thank you in advance for your cooperation. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The longer a person is out of work, the greater the chance they will NEVER return to work. According to Bureau of Labor statistics, if an employee is off work for an occupational illness for more than one year, there is only a 25% chance they will return to work. If they are off work for two years, there is almost no chance of a successful return to work. " I copy and pasted that from a legal advice website .. is this true and for what reason would a person not be able to return work ? ? ? that was not answered ...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I said after all those application that I put in I was not able to get a single interview .... did you read the question ? ?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, employment in Louisiana is considered to be at will. As a Louisiana attorney, I seem to hear similar complaints to your complaints all the time. However, at will employment means an employer can hire or fire for no reason or any reason not based solely on the age/race/sex/disability/national origin of the employee and the employee would have no recourse. Thus, employers rarely ever give any reason for not hiring or not calling for an interview and they cannot be compelled to give one.
Thus, the point is you may never know why none of the prospective employers are not calling you for an interview, as they need no reason and there is nothing you can do to force them to give you a reason I am afraid.
The only possible way to find out is to get a friend to pose as a potential employer verifying your prior employment with your last employer and have them ask for a reference to see if your former employer is making known false statements about you to prevent you from being hired. That is really the only option you have unless one of the prospective employers will tell you why you have not been interviewed.