Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA, recognized by ABA for excellence.
4460311

My former employer me off of business and not being able to

Customer Question

My former employer laid me off for lack of business and not being able to afford my salary. He then proceeded to falsify unemployment documents which caused me to lose my unemployment benefits. I have an appeal filed but they said it could take 6 to 8 weeks for a new trial to be set. In the meantime i have had to borrow a substantial amount of money to be able to proceed with my wedding that was a little less than 2 weeks after i got laid off and to get our head above water from no money coming in on my side. Do i have any kind of a case outside of fighting with unemployment??
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.

Hello

Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.

You have a right to pursue the appeal and get benefits.

You may separately consider pursuing a claim for defamation if he made false statements to others.

You may also consider a tortious interference claim with employment if he sought also to block you from securing another job through his conduct.

You may also have a lawyer reach out and seek to negotiate a severance.

If his motive was race, age or nationality, that too can be basis for a claim and leverage in discussion.

Kindly let me know if the answer is acceptable.

Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.

awaiting your reply.