Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I was terminated from work far taking off caused she passed

Customer Question

I was terminated from work far taking off caused she passed away I hadn't even got the toxic report back then they called an fired me I have papers where it says I was terminated an I have papers where it says that I quit I think that is wrong Can I Get Some answer's
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello: This is PhillipsEsq. I am a licensed Attorney and I will be assisting you today.
My deepest sympathies for your loss.
Could you explain a little more?
I am having trouble understanding what is going on.
What is your specific question?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You know it's bad enough that you call an have the cops break in your house while I'm at work and find my wife passed away then they terms nate me before I can get the toxic report back they didn't even give a reason. I just know that the head botch had it done
Thank you for getting back to me. I am so sorry for your loss. However, I still do not have a complete picture of what is going on and what your question is. Unless I can get the information that I need from you, I will be unable to assist you. Here are my questions:
Could you explain a little more?
What is your specific question?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I sue Cactus Drilling far wrongful termination
Thank you for the information.
Why were you terminated?
What is the reason given for your termination?
Did you sign an employment contract or are you an employee at will?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They did not give a reason. I had one of my friends that worked on the same rig as me he ask the tool pusher why an he told him that Kathy the head honcho told him to an keep it quite
Thank you for the information.
Unfortunately, if the employer gave no reason for your termination, the termination is legal. As an employee at will—as an employee without a written contract, your employer can terminate you for any reason or for no reason at all so long as the reason for the termination is not based on any one of the prohibited grounds such as your race, gender, age (40 and over), national original or the like. If the employer gave no reason for your termination, then the assumption is that you were not terminated on one of the prohibited grounds and your termination is thus proper eventhough quite unfair and unreasonable especially after just losing your wife. Regrettably, based on the information that you have provided here, you do not have a case for wrongful termination. You cannot sue the company for wrongful termination.
I am sorry that I do not have better news for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Why would they tell the unemployment office that I quit Now I was working in Oklahoma city. That's where there office is I wasn't working in Texas
Response:Unfortunately, I do not know. However, employers sometimes make statements that are not accurate to avoid paying for unemployment benefits. This is why you need to appeal any denial of your application for unemployment benefits so that you would be given opportunity to tell the unemployment hearing officer your side of the case, that you did not quit, but rather that you were terminated soon after you lost your wife.