RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
18284290

I'm a RN I worked travel agency and signed a contract I quit

Customer Question

I'm a RN I worked for a travel agency and signed a contract I quit the job they took my last paycheck is this legal?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I look forward to assisting you this evening.

It depends on the terms of the contract, but it absolutely can be, yes. I actually work part-time for a travel agency and my contract states that if I leave or am terminated, any unpaid commissions revert back to the agency itself. I can tell you from reading contracts within the travel agency industry, this is pretty common. If you have your contract, you can attach a copy here, and I'll be happy to review it for you.

If you need additional information or clarification, please REPLY and I'll be happy to assist you further. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It does state in the contract I would owe money but I can't believe they could take my paycheck
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 1 year ago.

Can you tell me the exact language? Does it say you owe a specific amount? Or that you forfeit all unpaid commissions?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was a certain amt my last paycheck was only 12 hours
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 1 year ago.

Then they can take what you owe, but if your paycheck was more then that, they should pay you any remainder.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for helping me
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 1 year ago.

You're very welcome. One final thought - if you are an independent contractor, you can't file a wage claim in Arizona, but you could file a small claims case against them for the money. Depending on how much you're owed (it doesn't sound like it will be that much) it may not necessarily be worth it due to the filing fees.

Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 1 year ago.
Did you have any follow-up questions about this matter? If not, please remember to leave me a positive rating, as that is the only way experts on this site are compensated for their time, even though you may have left a deposit. Thank you!