Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I have a question regarding disclosing information regarding

Customer Question

I have a question regarding disclosing information regarding a former client. I recently left my job at a mental health facility. My former boss called me and asked if I had contact with a previous client. I answered their questions, but is this is violation on their or my part? Since it was a former boss, I felt compelled to say a former client contacted me (they were a former client), but I want legal advice on the matter. I feel as if I were in the wrong for even acknowledging the question and answer, but is my former boss also in violation of some law or protection by contacting me and asking whether a former client has had contact with me?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello: This is PhillipsEsq. I am a licensed Attorney and I will be assisting you today.
Could you explain a little more?
Why did your boss ask you the question in the first place?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My employer asked because a client had called me after I had left the organization and I took the phone call.
Thank you for the information:
Your initial post:
Response: No, it is not a violation on their part or your part. Since this person is a client of the organization, you can disclose the information to your former boss.