JackJD
JackJD, Lawyer
Experience:  I've been in practice 30+ years, concentrating on employment law for 15 years. I enjoy helping people.
64048581

Alexia, I recently quit my job care reasons and have been

Customer Question

Hi Alexia, I recently quit my job for child care reasons and have been denied unemployment benefits. I'm in the process of writing my appeals letter, can you give me any advice?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  JackJD replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'd like to answer your question.

A "voluntary departure" for unemployment insurance reasons is not exactly the same as voluntary departure in other contexts. Your situation may fit the definition (and thus no benefits) or not, depending.

If there was a change in your hours or work location that made child care impossible, that will count as the same as a layoff and you should get benefits. If you just had difficulty finding child care because your prior caretaker quit, that would not get you benefits.

So my suggestion is just write it so that you put your best foot forward ---focus on anything the employer did, such as change your hours, and cross your fingers!

As for style, your best bet is to get a friend or spouse to read it over after you've written it and before you send it in. He/she can make sure that you are clearly making your point.

If I have fully answered your question, please rate the answer by using one of the buttons below. If you need additional information, use the reply feature. Good Luck.