John, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Exclusively practice labor and employment law.
71296933

Can a union take your pension away if work in a related job

Customer Question

can a union take your pension away if work in a related job after you retire
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for submitting your question today. My name is John. I have over 13 years of legal and consulting experience in this area. I’m happy to assist you with your question today.
Yes, many union pension plans do require that you not be working in a related field in order to collect the pension. They usually have a fixed amount of hours you are allowed to work each month. This practice is currently legal under the law that regulates pensions, the Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA).
I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers. Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.