John, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Exclusively practice labor and employment law.
71296933

I went in job interview with my boss. My boss got off topic

Customer Question

I went in for a job interview with my boss. My boss got off topic and started asking questions about my relationships with a supervisor in the department that is not related to the job I was applying for. I replied that I was "pretty much done" with that supervisor and my manager got really mad and suspended me for 3 days. Is this legal?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for submitting your question today. My name is John. I have over 13 years of legal and consulting experience in this area. I’m happy to assist you with your question today.
Was the supervisor you were in the relationship with suspended as well?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I didn't mean robe unclear, we were not in a relationship. The supervisor and I had not been getting along. And no the supervisor was not suspended.
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Here is the bot***** *****ne from a legal information standpoint. You are an employee at will - meaning you can be disciplined or terminated for any reason that is not otherwise a violation of law. These exceptions are the civil rights protections (e.g., age, race, sex, religion), violations of public policy (e.g., fired for attending jury duty, for refusing to break the law, for reporting illegal activity by the employer (aka a "whistleblower violation"), or having some contractual right to a just cause employment (meaning the employer cannot terminate you without industrial due process - which basically insures a fair and accurate investigation and decision). Without any of these exceptions, courts find that the employer has a legitimate business right to operate its business however it sees fit and the court will not second-guess the employer. These policies and decisions may in fact be awful and clearly not fair or even make good business sense. However, they are not ultimately unlawful.
Nothing you are bringing up in your question constitutes an exception to at will employment. Not getting along with your supervisor and/or your manager disciplining you for the same is not illegal under any law.
I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers. Thank you.
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
I am sending you this follow-up to determine if you require further assistance with your matter. I believe I have answered your question to the best of my abilities. I truly enjoy helping others with my knowledge and experience, and I believe I provide a valuable service. If you agree that my response was of value to you, please support my endeavor to share my knowledge by providing a positive rating. You have already been charged the full amount for your question. Providing a positive rating will not cost you any additional charge, but it will permit the website to credit me with answering your question. Otherwise, the website does not credit me with answering your question. Thanks.