ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
19487448

I am trying to get my significant other a doctors

Customer Question

I am trying to get my significant other a doctors appointment, lab work, and a refill on her thyroid medicine. Southwest Medical Associates is giving me grief as they are not doing this. They claim HIPPA laws. I let them know I don't want her medical information. just what I stated above.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  ScottyMacEsq replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

I am sorry to hear about your situation. If you're not trying to get any medical information (that is, letting them know that you know your significant other is a patient and just trying to get an appointment) then it's true that this is not a HIPAA violation. They're wrong about that fact. But note that this is also not actionable by you. They have no obligation to get the law correct. Now if they are incorrect in their interpretation of the law (thinking that something is not a HIPAA violation when it is) they can be liable. If they're incorrect in interpreting it so that something they think is a HIPAA violation when it is not, they have no liability. As such, MOST doctor's offices tend to be incredibly conservative in how they interpret the law, as there's no downside to interpreting it more broadly (except for unhappy patients).

The ADA does not apply here, as this is not an "accommodations" issue. They have no obligation to allow you to set an appointment on her behalf, I'm sorry to say.

I know this is probably not what you wanted to hear, but it is the law. I hope that clears things up anyway. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?

I see that you have not responded in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know.If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** good luck to you!

Was there anything else?

I see that you have not responded in some time. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!