Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
60109343

I am new re employee nurse in nursing home at specific

Customer Question

Hi ..I am new hire employee nurse in nursing home at specific unit..I have never been oriented to any other unit..yesterday I got call from my supervisor and I clarified with her that I can only work at the unit I was provided training and orientation at.. My supervisor went a head and put my name on the u it I usually work..today I wnet there and check d my assignment and start getting report and in middle of report ,they want me to go to different unit where I have never been oriented .i refused that other assignment and want to stick with my assignment but they suspended me .. Is it legal for them to make me work on specific u it without oriented me to that unit.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Good evening and welcome.
While I can certainly appreciate your frustration about being asked to work on a different unit, it is legal unless you have a contract or collective bargaining agreement which expressly restricts your employer from assigning you to other units. In the absence of such an agreement, your employment is "at will" and as such your employer is free to discipline or even terminate you for virtually any reason, regardless of whether the basis is fair or reasonable. This means that if you refuse to perform the job tasks your employer would like you to perform, your employer can take the adverse employment action against you that you describe.
I hope that you find this information helpful and am genuinely sorry if it is not what you were hoping to hear. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.
If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.