Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
10285032

This is my first year as an administrator (assistant

Customer Question

This is my first year as an administrator (assistant principal) in a school in Ohio. I had been a teachers for 23 previous years in the same district and was promoted for this school year. I was boarded by our board of education in May. I have not yet received a contract.
Another district has offered me an administrator's position.
In ORC, for TEACHERS, a clause states a teacher must resign by July 10 or he/she could be subject to a suspended teacher's license, if they terminate the contract after that date. ORC also states that as long as the board has offered position, and employee has accepted, that constitutes a contract.
I could not find if this "teacher" language also refers to administrators or not.
I need to know if I can legally resign without the possibility of losing my principal licensure.
Thank you.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Ohio Revised Code 3319.02 applies the same guidelines to administrators that apply to teacher contracts regarding termination of the contracts. The ORC also states though, "The board of education or governing board shall execute a written contract of employment with each assistant superintendent, principal, assistant principal, and other administrator it employs or reemploys." So if they have not executed a written contract they are in violation of the ORC. You do have to give them notice in writing that they are in violation of the Code by not providing any contract and that if they refuse to provide one within 5 business days you will consider that they have no agreement with you, since no contract was given in accordance with the law.