Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

I recently stayed at a Mariott Hotel where the customer

Customer Question

Hi. I recently stayed at a Mariott Hotel where the customer service was less than adequate. I was on a personal trip. I went ahead and put a call into the manager on duty and let her know that the customer service was not that great. I also made it a point to tell her that my company does a lot of business with their hotels around the country. She asked what company I was with and I obliged with an answer. She then told me her best friend works form the company. I didn't really think much about it at first, but after I was re-thinking bringing the company into this, as it was just for personal pleasure. I was't rude to her, I just don't want something to get misconstrued into an issue. Is the manager allowed to give out information to someone? (Her best friend) Or could she call the company saying I was being rude? I'm nervous because I just started at this place and love my job!
Category: Employment Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
To clarify, I made it a point to tell her that the company does a lot of business, and spends a lot of money with them.
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

Hello

This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard. While it would not be illegal for someone to mention you were there, it could be a policy violation as based on your right to privacy. And so, yes - it can be mentioned to the friend that they had a guest who works for the company staying. And yes, they could say the person was rude. But they should not release your name of other identifying information about you. That is policy. It is not against the law.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the person could not legally disclose my name to the friend? Is that what the general consensus is?
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

Hello

The are no laws against it. In other words, it is not a crime. But most large hotel chains have a Privacy Policy and if such information is revealed, they could be terminated and you could sue the employee in a civil lawsuit for invasion of privacy. And if the information was not accurate and caused you to lose your job, you could sue for defamation as well as invasion of privacy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay. In your opinion is this something I should worry about
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

Hello

I suggest more than likely not. You were not saying you were there on business. And you didn't lie. You only said the company you work for uses the hotel chain a lot. To me that means they come highly recommended. That was your point you were trying to make, right? So no. I suggest you should not worry about anything.

Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

If someone says something to you you can simply say that you happened to mention the hotel came highly recommended by the company you work for. You did not commit any wrongdoing that I can see from your facts.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
to be worried about potential termination in this case is silly. I have presented all the facts, and I didn't misrepresent the company in any way, but I really don't have any credability yet as I have not worked for this company very long.
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

Hello

Correct. I suggest that you are worrying needlessly. You cannot be fired if you did not make any false claims involving your employer.

Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

And from what you present here, that is not the case.