Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA, recognized by ABA for excellence.
4460311

I am writing brother who was terminated one month ago.

Customer Question

I am writing for my brother who was terminated one month ago. He has manic-depression and this may have been a factor in his dismissal. From what he's told me it seems he was taunted, and the facts of the case were misrepresented: however, when he was let go he was required to sign a statement saying he would not bring charges against the company. Is this binding under the circumstances? Didn't the company have a responsibility to work with his disability and not pressure him?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for requesting me. I'm very sorry to hear that your brother was let go from his job. Before I can assist you, I'm hoping you can clarify a few things for me:
- Did your brother accept money or some other benefit in exchange for the promise not to sue?
- Why was he let go?
- Was his employer aware of his disability?
If you could answers these questions that would enable me to help you. I very much look forward to assisting you on this matter.