Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  More than 30 years in legal practice.
17897874

I worked company years iv poored my heart

Customer Question

i worked for this company for four years iv poored my heart soul and life in this company iv had two right ups one for discrimination that was not true but i was singled out and in fear of loosing my income i agreed to it had no choice the secound one is for a complaint from a customer then a emplyee had made a mistake and with out my knowledge did something wroung and because i was the superviser on duty that day so i came into work the next day thye called all the employees out side about 12 of use stated talking and in about 3 min in publicly humiliated me and fired me in front of everyone im so beside my self like i cant face anyone do i have any legale standing?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am Loren, a Florida licensed attorney. I will do whatever I can to provide an honest and accurate answer to your question.
Before I answer a bit more detail would be helpful please.
Do you have a written employment contract?
Do you have any reason to suspect that you were terminated on account of your race, religion, ethnicity, etc.?
Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes we have a code of conduct they hired an humman resource lady but she was just there for legael reasons but the owners do all talking and its hard to feel you have anybody on your side when they are in the room talking about the racist write up i was most likely fired to make an example the person that made the mistake was the owners family and she took resposabilty for it and still fierd me in front of everyone
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Were the allegations made about you not true? In other words, were the statements defamatory?
Are you asking if you have recourse for the public embarrassment?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the fired me because i burend wings i didnt put them in but i was the manager on duty but the owners family was the one who put the wings in i had her put the wings in the cooler to cool so i could way them and document them and yes i am about public embarrsement yes all my write ups are shaky in my mine but you cant defend your self bcause the humman resouse lady works for them
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the additional information. I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get.If you have no written employment agreement then you are, in all likelihood, an at-will employee. As such, you are pretty much subject to the whim of your employer. They can change your schedule, your compensation or even terminate you at any time and for any reason or no reason.The only limitation is that the employer may not take adverse action against you in violation of your civil rights (unlawful discrimination) or out of sexual harassment.If you believe your civil rights are being violated you can file a grievance with the EEOC at www.eeoc.gov.Otherwise, it is really a matter of internal office politics or policy and not something which could be redressed in court.Likewise, without a basis in sexual harassment or illegal discrimination there is not really a cause of action for the embarrassment. The courts have routinely refused to entertain claims based on what they perceive as "civility".I realize this is probably not the answer you were hoping to receive. Also, please remember that this is not necessarily a moral judgement on my part. As a professional, however, I am sometimes placed in the position of having to deliver news which is not favorable to a customer's legal position, but accurately reflects their position under the law. I hate it, but it happens and I only ask that you not penalize me with a bad or poor rating for having to deliver less than favorable news.Best regards.Loren