How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Patrick, Esq. Your Own Question
Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 11687
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Patrick, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife works school district that contacts their IT

Customer Question

My wife works for a school district that contacts their IT dept. I found out she was having an affair with one of the contractors. I called and let they know because I am positive they have a policy against fraternization in the workplace. She was promptly promoted. I also informed the owner of the contracted it dept. Many teachers and administrators were aware of the affair. No disciplinary action has been taken against my wife or the contractor. This affair has caused our marriage to end. Can I sue the school or the contract company for having policies and not enforcing them or for allowing this relationship to happen and eventually lead to the end of my marriage?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Good evening and welcome. I am very sorry to hear about this very painful situation. However, I must be candid and direct in my answer to you--there is no claim on these facts against the school, contract company, or anyone else arising from this situation.
Civil lawsuits at their core are premised on a breach of duty that was owed to the plaintiff. Neither the school nor the contract company owed you a legal duty to ensure that your wife did not have an affair. Their policy against fraternization is a guideline and is not contractually enforceable by an employee, much less by someone that does not work for the company. Your wife's employer was under no legal obligation to discipline her for immoral conduct, nor to prevent or intercede in that conduct.
I am terribly sorry but the only lawyer that you need is a family lawyer to handle the legal separation and/or divorce from your wife. I know this is a painful and difficult time for you, but I hope you can appreciate my desire to "give it to you straight" so that you can move forward.
Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further. If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.

Related Employment Law Questions