Delta-Lawyer
Delta-Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  In-House Counsel & Litigator
12711280

You get paid twice a month, 15th and 30th but are paid by the

Customer Question

You get paid twice a month, 15th and 30th but are paid by the hour. If the hours are over 40 between the paydays, do you have to pay overtime?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
If you are an hourly employee and are classified as non-exempt (meaning you are hourly and not a supervisor in most cases), then the employer is required to pay overtime to employees that work more than 40 hours per week. So, it depends on what happens within the intervening weeks. If the first week you work 50 hours, then you are owed 10 hours overtime - even if you only work 30 hours the next week before the next paycheck. It is looked at per week...not per two weeks and the standard is a 40 hour work week. Let me know if you have any other questions. Please also rate my answer positively. Best wishes!
Did you have any additional questions or comments. I want you to be as comfortable as possible as you move forward. Thanks!