Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

After applying local CDL driver position I recived a

Customer Question

After applying for a local CDL driver position I recived a call from corporate office, was given a verbal job offer & told to give employer a weeks notice, asked to provide copies of SS#, CDL, & Med card. I did & filed out app & emailed it, My eployer
verbally told me I was done when I verbally turned in my notice, a day or so later called to inform me no payroll untill I send a letter, so I reluctantly did & emailed it so I could get last check. Employer was a sub contractor for the Freezer service I was
applying to & thought had hired me. Followed up several times via e-mail, finally got a contact, the very manager who encouraged me to apply & who I dealt with as a sub contractor. He sent an email indicating his displeasure with how I left my former employer
& wont be hiring me. I called & he told me specifically that my former employer told him I just up & qiut & left his trck & a loaded container unsecured on the side of the road, whic was not the case. what to do from here
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello: This isCustomer I am a licensed Attorney and I will be assisting you today.

Response: You have two choices. You can sue former employer for defamation, for giving false information to a prospective employer that which led that employer to rescinding a job offer.
You can file lawsuit against the prospective employer for detrimental reliance, for promising a job to you and directing you to give a notice to your former employer that you were leaving. You did all that, which you would not have done but for the prospective employer’s promise of a job, then the prospective employer rescinded the job offer after you had already left the job. You can sue the prospective employer for the amount that you would have made had it been the job offer were not rescinded or for the amount you forfeited when you followed the prospective employer's directive to give a notice of resignation to your former employer.
You would need an Attorney who handles employment issues and complex civil litigation to assist you with the lawsuits. You can use the following sites to find local Attorneys:
http://www.lawyers.com
http://www.justia.com
http://www.findlaw.com