socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
10097515

After losing an EEOC discrimination suit, I was let go for

Customer Question

After losing an EEOC discrimination suit, I was let go for "downsizing". They offered and I accepted a severance package. They stated there would be no break in my salary and they would pay for health insurance for me and my family. My husband went to the dr. We have no insurance. I called HR and they "forgot" to send in the paperwork for insurance and salary continuation. I called their legal department to let them know. Is this a breech in contract (that they wrote and did not follow) and do I have any recourse? I still have no insurance after a week and do not know if I will be getting a paycheck.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 1 year ago.
Hello, Recourse for a breach of contract is the value of the damages suffered as a consequence of the breach. In order to absolutely determine your rights, I would need to review the severance agreement. Since the agreement is almost certainly subject to being void if disclosed to third parties (other than a n attorney under the attorney-client privilege, the only way to move forward and evaluate your rights is for me to send you an additional services offer, so that we can take the matter offline. I will send the offer and you may accept or decline at your convenience. I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer -- otherwise, I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf.Thanks again for using Justanswer!