Ray, Employment lawyer
Experience:  30 years in Employment law
8534270

Ray, I have a 6 page severance agreement I am looking

Customer Question

Hello Ray, I have a 6 page severance agreement I am looking for review and notes on before I agree to an terms
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you.If you will post it here be happy to look it over and comment, thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello, attached is the content of the agreement I received Friday. This is for being laid off at no fault do to restructuring.I want general feedback about any language that I should add, remove, or edit as well as information that I should include to prodect myself regarding non compete, company equipment, ect.Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
please let me know how long for a reply and in what communication it will come in the form of.Thanks
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.
I am reading here give me a couple of minutes, do you have specific concerns??
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.
Ok so here this indicates this to be treated as a layoff, do they indicate anywhere they will not oppose a claim for UI benefits.That is likely important for you here.
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.
Something like employer specifically agrees to not oppose any claim by employee for Unemployment benefits as a result of this layoff.
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.
I am here if you have more questions and more pages you want to chat about here.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
here are some concerns:
under 7. regarding property if I can write a document to be signed by them when returning property acknowledging that they have all things they are requiring etc.if I can require that the letter of recommendation they refere to can be provided to me for approval priory to me signing thisIf the second line in 10. regarding unemployment id standard or suspectif section 6. if the agreement that I would be causing substantial and irreparable harm should be removedand in general is negotiating for more final terms above the three weeks offered is suggestible
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.
These are all valid points for you to respond to them about.They are important to you and consider this s first draft and they should negotiate tehse changes with you here.Thanks for your patience.
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.
And yes you can ask for these changes and the issue about the letter is valid too.I would want the letter asap so you can look for employment and use it for that.
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.
You may want to draft a revised document or a letter with needed changes, either would work here.
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.
I think overall these are important points but employer should agree with them as being mutually beneficial.I appreciate the chance to chat with you.Let me know if you have more.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks so does the section on not opposing ui look okay to you or should it be edited
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.
No it looks ok to me here. I think this is fair across the board to have some changes.You are smart to read these, I wish everyone would do so. Thanks again.
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.
Good luck here.If you have more questions down the road please post for Ray.Thanks again.
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.
I was good on the UI clause later in the document.Wanted to be clear on that.The other issues you raised are legitimate and need to be addressed in a revised agreement.You have found some good points here.
Let me know if you have more follow up, it is never a problem.Thanks again.
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.
If you can leave a positive rating when we are done it is always sincerely ***** ***** here.