Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Attorney with 29 yrs. exp in Employment Law
19127644

I left my current job to work new company. The interview

Customer Question

I left my current job to work for a new company. The interview me many times and knew all my qualifications. They were to teach me Microsoft Excel pro but really left me on my own to teach myself. They did not give me the personal training time promassed. Now after only 5 weeks they let me go saying I was not learning fast enough. They knew my qualifications, I quit my old job that I can't go back to.
I think it unfair not to do what they promised and now leaving me hanging. I had a 3.70 all through college. I have a master's degree in accounting. What can I do.
CH
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the information and your question and I am sorry to read about your situation. Although Delaware, like most states, is an employment "at will" state, which generally means that an employer may not only let an employee go for any, or no, reason and with no notice or warning unless the termination violates a contract or is motivated by unlawful discrimination, the courts in Delaware has created one more exception. That exception is that all employment agreements are bound by the legal doctrine of "good faith and fair dealing."
I can't guess whether or not your employer violated that doctrine since I don't have the facts from their perspective, but based only on what you have shared, there might be a valid legal claim that they violated that doctrine. You will need to sit down with a local employment law attorney and go over the timeline and all of the facts of your case to see if they think you would be successful with that claim in the local courts based on what they know about the attitudes of the local judiciary.
Please feel free to ask for clarification. I would be glad to assist you further if I can.
Hello again,
I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the legal answer I provided to you on the 24th. For some unknown reason, the Experts are not always getting replies or ratings (in the pop up box for this question, which is how we get credit (paid) for our work) that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator.
In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue, if needed. You can bookmark my page at: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-marsha411jd/
Thank you.