Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  16 years practicing attorney
19958803

I signed a non compete in 2012 with an Ohio based corporation.

Customer Question

I signed a non compete in 2012 with an Ohio based corporation. I live in Texas. I was promoted , given a new title and comp plan. Is the original contract still valid or should I have received a new agreement?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is Barrister and I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can..Non competes are generally enforceable for the entire duration of an employee's working relationship with the employer as well as for any stated duration if a separation of employment occurs. So the fact that you are in another state and have changed job duties wouldn't invalidate the noncompete. .However if the noncompete only prohibited specific activities related to your previous position, it wouldn't now extend to cover your current one. For example, if you were a computer programmer and were prohibited from working as a programmer for any competitor, but now you are a computer salesman, then you would still only be prevented from working as a programmer for a competitor...thanksBarrister