John, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Exclusively practice labor and employment law.
71296933

I need to know if my employer broke a law of if I have

Customer Question

Hi, I need to know if my employer broke a law of if I have a leg to stand on here with the company. U recently had to miss a day of work because my wife had to go to the ER and ended up having surgery . I had to tell my supervisor why I needed to leave early that 1 day . The next day the supervisor asked about my wife and I had let it slip that she was given narcotic pain medication for her recover since she was in so much pain a few days later I get a unsolicited text from a co-worker who did not have access to my phone number want to purchase the medication from. This was on my personal cell who's not posted for public viewing anywhere in the office, nor had I ever given it out to non management/not work related issues. When I responded by text asking this individual how he got this number he stated he got it from my supervisor who proceeded to beg for me to dell him my wifes medication (which i do know is illegal and would never do; my wife is in a lot of paindl i could never do that!!!) I saved the texts. Is this legal? I believe my privacy was invaded and that I should have some coarse of action against this company, do I?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for submitting your question today.My name is John. I have over 13 years of legal and consulting experience in this area. I’m happy to assist you with your question today. This could be an invasion of privacy matter against the employer as well as a criminal matter. What you'd have to do do first is report the misuse of your phone number to upper management, if they then did nothing or in fact supported (which I'd doubt they'd do) the misuse of your phone number like this, then you could make a claim against them for tortious interference with privacy. Right now however, no claim exists because they are not on notice that there is such a privacy violation. Criminally of course, you could now file a charge against the manager and person who tried to buy the drugs. THere would be charges of solicitation and conspiracy to buy controlled substances. This really wouldn't do anything for you except protect you from any claim by the employer that you are involved in the scheme. I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it's the only way I am able to get credit for my answers. Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.