Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA, recognized by ABA for excellence.
4460311

I am a manager. My boss was routinely forcing employees to

Customer Question

I am a manager. My boss was routinely forcing employees to work from 8am to 2am because it fit her style of working. I told her I did not think it was fair as all other employees in comparable positions were not being forced to work these hours. I mentioned these hours to my brother who is a manager for the state of Tennessee and he said that we might have some legal liability. I mentioned this to my boss and she whoever complained would be the first person to be written out of the budget. Could this be considered a hostile work environment?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns. How many employees does this employer currently employ? Do employees have the ability to refuse the extra hours? Do they get paid for the work? Is this a constant schedule?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We are the accounting and reporting staff for a school district with approximately 16,000 employees and other accountants in other department who are not required to work excessive overtime, and many times are higher paid. There is no extra pay involved. HR advised the managers that since we are salaried, they could make these demands of us without recourse. We are senior accountants and above. When we were working these hours. The overtime was mandatory. There is no extra pay involved. When we interview new employees we have a question to caution them that they may have to work these hours during certain times of the year.
Hi, Are these hours usually in place during tax season or during reporting, or really all around the year?