Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
10285032

I am a federal employee VA hospital, I am being menaced on

Customer Question

I am a federal employee VA hospital, I am being menaced on my job, it has escalated to the point the person has become physical, bases of the menacing is race, can I file for a federal restraining order.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. If you are being harassed based only on your race, you need to file a complaint with the EEO (you cannot just file a federal restraining order). The first step in any racial harassment or other claim of discrimination is that the employee must file a complaint with the EEO to exhaust all administrative remedies before going to court. If the EEO cannot resolve the dispute, then you can seek review by the EEOC or you can take the matter to court because you have exhausted your administrative remedies and you can sue the employer for hostile work environment based on your race and seek damages, including emotional distress damages for their allowing such conduct in the workplace.