Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
10285032

I was employed Full-Time with a Parish Agency plus years

Customer Question

I was employed Full-Time with a Parish Agency for 31 plus years (1983-2014). In 1983 I could not be in two Retirement Systems. I went from 1984-1989 without Social Security or any other Deductions for Retirement. Should this have been done.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. If you were not in the municipal employees retirement system, then they had to pay social security for you. If they failed to pay and deduct social security for you for those years, they can be liable to you for them not making proper social security deductions (they could make pension or SS deductions, but they had to do one or another). This means though, if the Parish will not make good on the SS payments, you would have to file suit against them to seek to recover and this means you would need to engage a local ERISA or Pension attorney in your area to assist you with pursuing the Parish to correct the errors that they made.